Decatur Wrongful Death Lawyer
The loss of a loved one is never easy to experience, particularly if their death was the result of the negligent or wrongful act of another person. If you have lost a loved one, you may be wondering whether you have a legitimate wrongful death claim. At Kanoski Bresney, our compassionate and experienced Decatur wrongful death lawyers are ready to sit with you and discuss your case. Our goal is to secure any compensation you are entitled to for your losses.
Why choose Kanoski Bresney?
When you are going through something as challenging as the loss of a loved one, you need an attorney you can trust both personally and professionally. Kanoski Bresney Is here to help.
- We have been serving central Illinois for more than 40 years and have gained the trust of the communities we work in.
- We have a track record of success and have secured millions of dollars in verdicts for our clients.
- We take all Decatur wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients only pay legal fees after we secure the compensation they deserve.
Why do you need an attorney for this case?
Wrongful death claims can be difficult to prove, and family members who have lost a loved one often do not have the resources or legal experience necessary to pursue maximum compensation. A Decatur wrongful death attorney will be responsible for:
- Obtaining all evidence related to the death, including any available video or photo surveillance, eyewitness accounts of what happened, accident reports, and more.
- Gathering available safety records for cases involving businesses or other entities.
- Working with a trusted medical professional to ascertain the exact cause of death of your loved one.
- Negotiating with all parties involved to reach a fair settlement on behalf of your family.
Wrongful Death cases in Illinois
Wrongful death claims arise after a person is killed due to the negligent actions of another individual, entity, or business. In Illinois, these claims are brought by the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate. Under Illinois law, wrongful death claims are meant to provide compensation “for the exclusive benefit of the surviving spouse and next of kin of [the] deceased person.” This typically includes:
- The spouse of the deceased
- An adult child of the deceased
- A parent of a minor child who is deceased
At Kanoski Bresney, we handle wrongful death claims that arise in many different ways. Most commonly, this includes deaths that occur due to:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Slip and fall incidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Other premises liability cases
- Faulty or defective products
- Workplace accidents
Our compassionate team will help secure the compensation you need
If you have lost about one due to the negligent or wrongful actions of another person or entity, contact a Decatur personal injury attorney today. At Kanoski Bresney, we are ready to get to work investigating every aspect of your case in order to secure the compensation you and your family are entitled to. This could include:
- Loss of future income the deceased would have earned had they lived
- Mental anguish/pain and suffering damages
- Loss of consortium or companionship damages
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of pre-death medical care
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible for the death
When you need a Decatur wrongful death lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 866-438-2419.