Contact Us



call us888-U-COUNT-2


Car Accident FAQs

Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Collisions

A car accident can be a traumatic event that leaves you shaken up and unsure about how to proceed. Depending on the circumstances surrounding a collision, you may be able to receive financial compensation for your injuries and other types of damages. At Kanoski Bresney, we have more than 40 years of experience representing injury victims, and we can answer your questions about how you should proceed after being injured in a motor vehicle collision.

What Should I Do After a Car Accident?

In the immediate aftermath of a collision, you should check on the status of everyone who was involved and provide aid to those who need it. If emergency medical treatment is needed, call 911 and ask to have emergency medical technicians dispatched to your location. Even if nobody was seriously injured, you should contact the police and have an officer make a police report. This will provide a record that can help establish fault for the collision.

If you are able to do so, you should gather evidence at the scene of the accident, including photos of all vehicles involved, your injuries, the road, and any conditions that may have led to the collision. You can speak to any witnesses to the accident and obtain their contact information so they can be contacted later to make a statement. Even if you believe that you did not suffer a substantial injury, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. This will help you identify any concerns that could affect your long-term health and provide you with medical records to demonstrate how the accident has affected your well-being.

Who Can Be Held Liable for Car Accident Injuries?

In most cases, the driver who is at fault for a collision will be responsible for paying compensation to others who were involved. However, other parties may also be liable for car accident injuries. For example, victims may be able to pursue compensation from a company that manufactured or sold defective auto parts or a city, county, or state government that did not take steps to address a dangerous highway or road.

What if I Was Partially at Fault for a Car Accident?

As long as you were 50% at fault for a collision or less, you can still seek compensation from the other party. However, any compensation you are awarded will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if it is determined that you were 30% at fault for an accident, and your total damages are $100,000, you will be able to receive 70% of that amount, or $70,000.

Should I Speak to an Insurance Company After a Collision?

Following an accident, you may be eligible for coverage under the insurance policy of the at-fault driver, as well as your own insurance policy. However, before contacting an insurance company or responding to any requests for information, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Your lawyer can speak to insurers on your behalf, ensuring that you do not provide them with any information that could reduce the value of your claim. An attorney can also help you understand the full impact of your injuries and damages, and they can negotiate a settlement that will provide you with the full amount of compensation you need.

What Kinds of Compensation Can I Receive for an Auto Accident?

You should be compensated for all of the financial effects of your accident, including the costs of immediate and ongoing medical treatment, loss of income, and damage to your vehicle or other property. You can also pursue compensation for the non-financial ways you have been affected, such as the pain and suffering you have experienced or the loss of enjoyment of life due to a disability.

What Are My Options if the Driver Who Was at Fault for a Car Accident Was Uninsured?

If a driver did not have insurance, or if their insurance policy will not fully cover the damages you have suffered, you may also be able to receive uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage under your own insurance policy. A skilled attorney can help you understand your options for recovering compensation in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, including negotiating a settlement with your insurance company or pursuing a personal injury lawsuit against other parties who may have been responsible for your accident.

How Can a Bloomington Personal Injury Attorney Help With My Case?

Following a car accident, the lawyers of Kanoski Bresney can help you determine who was at fault, and we will fight to make sure you receive the financial compensation you deserve. We will investigate your collision and gather the necessary evidence, including obtaining footage of the accident from security cameras or traffic cameras and obtaining testimonies from any witnesses. We will make sure your injuries are fully documented, and we will work to take legal action against all liable parties, ensuring that you can be repaid for the ways you and your family have been harmed.

To set up a free consultation with our skilled and experienced attorneys, contact our office by calling 888-U-COUNT-2 or 888-826-8682. We represent victims of car accidents and other types of injuries in Macon County, Bloomington, Champaign, Quincy, Springfield, Pekin, McDonough County, Rushville, Schuyler County, Champaign County, Peoria County, Decatur, Adams County, Macomb, McLean County, Tazewell County, Peoria, and Sangamon County.

Back to Top