Champaign DUI Accident Attorney
In Illinois, driving under the influence (DUI) means driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, an intoxicating compound, or any combination thereof. Despite strict laws and severe criminal and civil penalties, intoxicated drivers continue to cause serious or fatal accidents every day.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a DUI accident, contact Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois today. We believe that drivers who endanger others by driving under the influence should be held accountable for the harm they cause. We will aggressively pursue the maximum compensation available under the law.
Why Choose Kanoski Bresney?
- We are a client-oriented firm, committed to serving the best interests of the people we represent.
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois, with 12 lawyers and more than two dozen staff to handle your claim.
- Our Champaign DUI accident attorneys have more than four decades of experience representing people who have been wrongly injured through the negligence of others.
Why You Need a Lawyer
If you have been injured by an intoxicated driver, you may have a claim for compensation for your losses. It is in your best interests to consult with an attorney who has significant experience handling DUI accident claims. Our experienced Champaign personal injury lawyers can investigate your accident, obtain police reports and other documentation, and interview witnesses to establish liability. We can assess the full extent of your losses, negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf, and take your case to trial, if necessary.
DUI Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that:
- 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in the U.S. in 2016.
- Nearly 29 people die in drunk driving traffic crashes every day in the U.S.
- 2,017 people were killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes in which drivers had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) lower than the legal limit of .08 in 2016.
- DUI accident fatalities contributed to an annual cost of $44 billion in the most recent year for which cost data is available.
What Is the Law on DUI in Illinois?
Under state statute, Illinois is tough on DUI. The “per se” BAC limit is 0.08% in Illinois, like most other states in the U.S. With “zero tolerance,” the BAC limit for underage drivers is 0.0%. Implied consent laws require all licensed drivers to submit to a BAC test if pulled over on suspicion of DUI. Our state also has enhanced penalties for an aggravated BAC limit of 0.16%.
Penalties for DUI
DUI in Illinois is a Class A misdemeanor. It carries penalties that may include jail time, mandatory minimum fines, and community service. The severity of the penalties increases for a second or subsequent conviction or a BAC of 0.16% or higher. Penalties may also include license suspension or revocation; mandatory alcohol education, assessment, and treatment; and possible ignition interlock device or vehicle confiscation.
What Damages Can I Claim for a DUI Accident?
Our Champaign DUI accident lawyers will assess the full extent of your losses in a DUI accident. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
Get in Touch with Our Champaign Office
If you have been injured in a DUI accident, call Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation.