Champaign Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Unfortunately for our elderly loved ones, abuse and neglect are not uncommon in nursing homes. Whether caused by staff shortages, negligent screening and hiring, or improper training of staff, there is no excuse for abuse of residents.
If your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse, contact Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois today. Our experienced Champaign personal injury attorneys are tough advocates for injured older people.
Why Choose Us?
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois and have recovered more than $400 million for our clients.
- We have more than four decades of experience representing people who have been injured through the negligence of others.
- We are client-oriented and committed to serving the best interests of the people we represent.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Our experienced team of Champaign nursing home abuse attorneys can thoroughly investigate your elderly loved one’s situation, reviewing nursing home facility records, and quickly identify common factors that are strong indicators of abuse or neglect. This can often make all the difference in obtaining justice and compensation for your loved one.
How Prevalent Is Nursing Home Abuse?
The prevalence of nursing home abuse nationwide is not precisely known, partly because of widespread underreporting. However, as researchers found in a study published by the National Institutes of Health, there have been reports of abuse all over the country from:
- Residents and families
- Facility staff
- Health Care Professionals
- Adult protective services agencies
Most nursing home facilities participate in Medicare and/or Medicaid programs and are therefore subject to annual surveys and complaint investigations under federal laws and regulations. The Office of the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services found 4,707 abuse complaints involving nearly one-third of the Medicare/Medicaid-certified facilities from one survey cycle covering one year in 10 states.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Resident abuse in nursing homes can occur in several different forms:
- Physical abuse: This type of abuse is the intentional infliction of physical harm on a resident. It may involve slapping, kicking, punching, use of physical restraints, or improper administration of medications. Physical abuse may be the most easily detectable form of nursing home abuse.
- Emotional abuse: Deliberately causing anxiety, fear, anguish, or other undesirable mental states in a resident is a definition of emotional nursing home abuse. It may involve verbal communications that cause the resident unnecessary emotional pain or ignoring a resident’s requests and needs.
- Financial exploitation: Elderly people in nursing homes are particularly susceptible to financial exploitation because they often rely on caregivers for reading mail or managing their accounts. Financial abuse in a nursing home may involve bank account or credit card theft, scams, or healthcare fraud.
- Sexual abuse: Horrifying as it may seem, nursing home residents sometimes become victims of sexual abuse, mainly because they are reliant on their caregivers. Sexual abuse is not limited to physical contact, but may also take other forms, such as verbal communications or compelling the resident to disrobe in front of the abuser.
Contact Our Champaign Office Today
Nursing home facilities that fail to protect elderly residents from abuse in any form should be held accountable for their negligence. If your elderly loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, call the skilled Champaign nursing home abuse attorneys at Kanoski Bresney to schedule a free consultation.