Champaign Product Liability Attorney
Products on the market should be safe for use by the public and perform as they are intended to. Unfortunately, dangerous and defective products harm thousands of people every year. If you have been injured by a defective product, contact Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois as soon as possible. You may have a product liability claim for compensation for your injuries.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- We are client-oriented and committed to serving the best interests of the people we represent.
- We have more than 40 years of experience representing people who have been wrongfully harmed through negligence.
- Our Champaign personal injury attorneys have recovered more than $400 million for our clients.
Why You Need a Lawyer
If you have been injured by a defective product, it is in your best interests to consult with an experienced Champaign product liability attorney. You may have a claim for compensation, to hold the responsible party accountable, and to help protect the general public. Our experienced Champaign product liability lawyers can identify all potentially liable parties and aggressively pursue maximum compensation for the losses you have suffered.
What Is Product Liability
Product liability refers to the legal responsibility of manufacturers and sellers for placing defective products into consumers’ hands. Liability for product defects that cause injury lies with the manufacturer and all sellers in the distribution chain. Generally, product liability law requires that products meet the ordinary expectations of consumers. A dangerous product with an unexpected defect does not meet those expectations.
Product Liability Statistics
As stated by the Insurance Information Institute (III):
- In 2017, product liability incurred losses cost insurers $940 million, plus $648 million in settlement expenses.
- $2,689,115 in net product liability insurance premiums were written in 2017.
- $1,037,567 was spent on defense costs and cost containment expenses for product liability claims in a recent year.
- $7,074,294 is the average amount of product liability jury awards in 2016.
Types of Product Defects
For product liability purposes, consumer products can be defective in any of three different ways:
Manufacturing product liability claims involve a product that has been defectively manufactured. Examples of manufacturing defects that can cause injury include:
- Electric circuitry installed improperly that can cause electrical shock
- Parts attached together incorrectly
- The wrong types of bolts, screws, or other fasteners used on mechanical parts
This type of defective product has a design that is inherently defective or dangerous. Product liability claims can arise when a defectively designed product causes injury, although there were no errors in the manufacturing process. Examples of defectively designed products include:
- Motor vehicles with a tendency to flip over while turning a corner
- Sunglasses that fail to provide protection from UV rays
- Electric blankets that can cause electrocution in certain settings
Marketing and Labeling Defects
A product that is marketed without providing adequate warnings or instructions about its proper use may be defective. A failure-to-warn defective product may require special precautions and be dangerous in a way that is not obvious to the user. Examples include:
- Corrosive chemicals sold without adequate instructions for handling and use.
- Over-the-counter medications that fail to include warnings of dangerous side effects in their labeling.
- Kitchen appliances packaged without adequate warnings concerning hazards of improper use.
Contact Our Champaign Office Today
If you or your loved has been injured by a consumer product, call the Champaign product liability lawyers at Kanoski Bresney today to schedule a consultation. We can tell you if you have a product liability case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.