Springfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents can cause severe injuries and lead to major expenses for a crash victim. It is vital that you secure assistance from a Springfield bicycle accident lawyer to help ensure you are treated fairly. The qualified and experienced team at Kanoski Bresney will work to ensure your crash in thoroughly investigated and you receive the compensation you deserve.
If you’re looking for answers to your specific legal questions, contact our office today to schedule a free initial consultation and case evaluation.
What are common causes of Bicycle Accidents in Springfield?
Bicycle crashes happen in a variety of ways. Many drivers fail to recognize that bicyclists are allowed space on the roadways and operate too closely to them. Many bicycle crashes happen in areas where the cyclist has the right-of-way, including intersections, the right side of a roadway, and crosswalks. Bicyclists are especially vulnerable to:
- Distracted Drivers: Many vehicle drivers stare at their phones instead of watching the roadways.
- Impaired Drivers: Drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs are much more likely to strike bicyclists.
What to do if you were hit by a car while biking in Springfield
If you are involved in a Springfield bicycle accident, the first thing you need to do it call 911 and get police and EMS to the scene. Even if you do not feel much pain, the full extent of many injuries is not often felt until hours or days after an incident. After that, we advise you to:
- Not speak to anyone other than the police about the crash. Anything you say can be used against you by the driver’s insurance company.
- Ask how to obtain a police report and ensure it is accurate.
- Get contact information of any witnesses to the bicycle crash. If you are injured, ask someone to do this for you.
- Take pictures of the bike and the car (including the license place). Again, ask someone to do this for you if you are injured.
- Speak to a qualified Springfield bicycle accident attorney before you make a claim on the driver’s insurance company.
What injuries can you seek compensation for in a Springfield bicycle accident?
Bicyclists are extremely vulnerable in and around the roadways. Even when a cyclist is wearing a helmet, there is a high probability of an injury occurring when struck by a passenger vehicle weighing thousands of pounds. Some of the most common injuries we deal with after a Springfield bicycle accident include:
- Spinal cord injuries (with possible paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
- Severe road rash
When we look at the latest reporting year from the state, we can see that there was a total of 2,793 Illinois bicycle accidents. Nearly every crash resulted in an injury or fatality. Out of those, there were:
- 26 bicycle fatality crashes
- 2,689 bicycle injury crashes
Helmet Use Can Save Lives
However, studies have shown that approved bicycle helmets significantly decrease the risk of head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and death. The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says that 783 bicyclists were killed during the latest reporting year. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says that all bicyclists, regardless of age, can protect themselves by wearing properly fitted and approved helmets each time they ride.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a Springfield bicycle crash, Kanoski Bresney is ready to help you today. We will work to investigate what happened in order to secure the compensation you need for:
- Medical expenses related to the crash
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a negligent party
How Can a Springfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer help my Claim?
Bicycle accidents can be scary and confusing for victims. It can be hard to know exactly what to do in the aftermath of a crash, especially if you are recovering from injuries. A Kanoski Bresney bicycle accident lawyer can handle all aspects of your crash, including:
- Obtain and review all police reports
- Gather any traffic cam or surveillance footage
- Review 911 call recordings and time logs
- File subpoenas for all records related to the case
- Speak with any eyewitnesses to the crash
- Reconstruct an accident scene if necessary
- Have your medical records reviewed by a trusted healthcare professional
- Properly calculate the total economic and noneconomic damages sustained
- Negotiate on your behalf with insurance companies and other parties involved
Let us get to work on your behalf today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle crash, Kanoski Bresney is ready to help secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Your current and future medical expenses related to the crash
- Lost wages and benefits if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible
When you need a Springfield bicycle accident lawyer, you can contact us for a free case evaluation by clicking here.