Peoria DUI Accident Attorney
It is illegal to get behind the wheel of an automobile while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. However, despite severe civil and criminal penalties, thousands of drivers do it every day. In Illinois alone, there were 349 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in 2017, representing 32% of all traffic deaths, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you have been injured in a DUI accident, call the Peoria DUI accident attorneys at Kanoski Bresney today. Our Peoria car accident lawyers will protect your rights and fight to recover the maximum compensation available under the law.
Why Choose Kanoski Bresney?
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois, with 12 lawyers and more than two dozen staff to handle your claim.
- We are trial attorneys who will not hesitate to take your case to court if it is in your best interests.
- We have a history of success – more than $400 million in settlements and awards recovered for our clients.
Why You Need a DUI Accident Lawyer
DUI accidents can cause severe and debilitating injuries. You may require ongoing medical treatment and be unable to work or perform certain aspects of your job. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you could be left with permanent disabilities that could impact your entire family, now and in the future. Our Peoria DUI accident attorneys will stand by your side to protect your rights and aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.
What Is DUI in Illinois?
Under Illinois DUI law, “ DUI” means driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, intoxicating compounds, or any combination thereof. As in most states, the “per se” limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.08%. Our state also has:
- Zero tolerance for underage drivers (BAC 0.0%).
- Implied consent that requires drivers to submit to a BAC test if pulled over on suspicion of DUI.
- Enhanced penalties for an aggravated BAC limit of 0.16%.
DUI Accident Statistics
NHTSA reports regarding drunk driving that:
- More than 10,000 lives are lost every year in drunk driving traffic crashes.
- Every day, nearly 29 people in the U.S. die in alcohol-impaired motor vehicle accidents.
- One person was killed in a DUI accident every 50 minutes in the U.S. in 2016.
- Deaths and damages in drunk driving accidents contribute to a cost of approximately $44 billion per year.
Damages in a DUI Accident Claim
If you have been injured in an accident caused by a driver who was under the influence of alcohol or drugs in Illinois, you may be entitled to claim:
- Economic damages: This includes your medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and other out-of-pocket costs.
- Non-economic damages: Pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium, and other intangible losses may be included in this category.
- Punitive damages: Designed especially for reckless behavior, punitive damages are not awarded to compensate the victim, but rather to punish the defendant for misconduct and to deter similar actions in the future.
Call Our Peoria, Illinois Office Today
DUI accidents can cause serious, catastrophic, or fatal injuries to other motorists sharing the roadways. At Kanoski Bresney, we believe that drivers who cause crashes while under the influence of alcohol or drugs should be held accountable for the damage they cause to others. Contact our DUI accident attorneys in Peoria, Illinois as soon as possible for zealous legal advocacy in your DUI accident case.