Peoria Medical Malpractice Attorney
Doctors and healthcare providers are meant to protect and improve our health – not cause further injury. Nevertheless, shocking as it may be, medical error is a leading cause of injury and death in the U.S. If you or your loved one has been injured through medical negligence, contact Kanoski Bresney as soon as possible. Our Peoria medical malpractice attorneys are tough advocates for victims of medical malpractice.
Why Choose Us?
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois, with 12 attorneys and more than two dozen staff members.
- We have more than 40 years of experience representing people who have been wrongfully injured due to negligence.
- Our attorneys have recovered more than $400 million in settlements and awards for our clients.
Why You Need a Medical Malpractice Attorney
Having an experienced lawyer to represent you is critical in a medical malpractice claim. These cases may involve extremely complex medical and legal issues and typically require medical expert testimony to prove that medical malpractice has occurred. Insurers may not respect plaintiffs’ lawyers who have little medical malpractice experience. Our Peoria medical malpractice lawyers at Kanoski Bresney have been successfully handling medical malpractice cases for decades, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients.
Medical Malpractice Statistics
As a nationwide service, Diederich Healthcare has provided the following statistics regarding medical malpractice payouts in a recent year:
- $3,925,073,250 was paid out in medical malpractice claims in the U.S. in 2017, representing a 2.35% increase over the previous year.
- 30% of this nearly $4 billion in payouts was for injuries resulting in death.
- 20% was for major permanent injuries.
- 18% was for significant permanent injuries.
- 12% was for quadriplegic, brain damage, and lifelong care injuries.
- 8% was for minor permanent injuries.
- 7% was for major temporary injuries.
- Total payout amount in Illinois was $300,790,050, which amounts to $23.50 per capita.
Types of Medical Malpractice
Categories were assigned for the types of medical errors for which this multi-billion-dollar total was paid out that year:
- Diagnosis errors – 34%
- Surgical errors – 22%
- Treatment errors – 19%
- Medical errors in obstetrics – 9%
- Medication errors – 5%
- Monitoring errors – 5%
- Other types of errors – 6%
Average Medical Malpractice Payment Amounts
By severity of the injury, the following are the average medical malpractice insurance payment amounts in that year:
- $1,029,105 – Quadriplegia, brain damage, lifelong care
- $600,797 – Major permanent injury
- $424,645 – Significant permanent injury
- $374,530 – Death
- $236,057 – Minor permanent injury
- $214,407 – Major temporary injury
- $91,678 – Emotional injury
- $72,850 – Minor temporary injury
- $34,333 – Insignificant injury
Who Is Liable for Medical Errors?
Medical malpractice liability is not limited to medical doctors. It can also apply to:
- Healthcare facilities
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Other healthcare providers
The key to recovering compensation in a medical malpractice claim is proving fault. Hospitals can be held directly liable for their own negligence, or vicariously liable for the negligence of their employees, including licensed physicians, nurses, physician’s assistants, and nurse practitioners.
Contact Our Peoria, Illinois Office Today
If you have been injured through the negligence of a healthcare provider, you deserve to recover compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other losses. Call Kanoski Bresney in Peoria today to schedule a consultation. Our medical malpractice attorneys operate on a contingency-fee basis, which means you pay us no legal fees until we win your case.