Peoria Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
Slip and fall accidents often lead to tragedy. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), falls are the third leading cause of unintentional injury-related death in the U.S. If you have been injured in a slip and fall on the unsafe property of another, contact the Kanoski Bresney in Peoria as soon as possible. You may have a premises liability claim for compensation against the property owner.
Why Choose Kanoski Bresney?
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois, with 12 lawyers and more than 24 staff to handle your claim.
- We have successfully recovered more than $400 million for our clients.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis – you do not pay us any fees until we recover compensation for you.
Why You Need a Lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall and want to pursue compensation, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Peoria slip and fall accident attorney without delay. It is crucial to act quickly so evidence in your case can be collected and preserved. Our Peoria slip and fall lawyers can investigate your accident, interview witnesses, and take pictures. A court order may be needed to preserve evidence, and you must file your lawsuit within the time limit imposed by law or your claim will be forever barred.
Slip and Fall Statistics
As stated by the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI):
- Slip and fall accidents account for more than one million hospital emergency room visits every year.
- More women experience slip and fall accidents than men.
- Slip and falls are the primary cause of lost days from work, the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims, and the leading cause of occupational injury among people ages 55 and older.
- 22% of slip and fall accidents have resulted in more than 31 days away from work.
- Falls are a leading cause of spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injury symptoms.
- Compensation and medical costs associated with work-related slip and fall accidents total approximately $70 billion annually.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere – at work, at home, in a store or restaurant, or at a friend’s house. Common causes include:
- Uneven surfaces with no warnings
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Loose floorboards, rugs, or mats
- Spilled liquids not cleaned up immediately
- Splashed oil or grease that is not removed
- Unsalted, icy on walkways
- Potholes in parking lots
- Debris or trash on the floor
- Stairs without handrails
- Poor lighting that makes it difficult to see debris or obstacles
When Is the Property Owner Liable?
Property owners in Illinois have a duty to ensure that their premises are relatively safe. If they fail to live up to this duty, they may be held liable for injuries that occur on their property. Under the premises liability theory, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries sustained in a slip and fall if you can show that the property owner did not take reasonable steps to keep the property safe.
Connect with Our Firm
Our experienced Peoria slip and fall accident attorney at Kanoski Bresney have been successfully handling slip and fall accident cases for decades. Call our office today for the dedicated legal advocacy you will need after a slip and fall accident with serious injuries.