Bloomington Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicyclists are vulnerable to serious injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident that was someone else’s fault, call Kanoski Bresney in Bloomington, Illinois today. We have dedicated our practice to representing people who have been wrongfully injured through negligence.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Our Bloomington personal injury lawyers have more than 40 years of experience and a successful track record, recovering over $400 million for our clients.
- We are a client-oriented firm, committed to serving the best interests of the people we represent.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis, which means you pay us no fees until we settle or win your case.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries, resulting in significant medical expenses and time away from work. Your best course of action after a serious bicycle wreck is to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. Our Bloomington bicycle accident lawyers can investigate your accident to determine who is liable, collect and preserve evidence, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and, if necessary, take your case to trial to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 840 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. in 2016.
- Bicyclist traffic fatalities increased by 1.3% from 2015 to 2016.
- Bicyclist deaths account for 2.2 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- 71% of bicyclist traffic fatalities occurred in urban areas, while 29% occurred in rural areas.
- Children under the age of 15 accounted for 7% of all bicyclist fatalities.
- The average age of people killed in bicycle accidents in 2016 was 46.
- 86% of bicyclists who died in traffic crashes were male.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Nearly a third of all bicyclist injuries are the result of being struck by a car, as stated by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center. In order of frequency, the most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- 29% — Hit by a car
- 17% — Falling
- 13% — Roadway or walkway not in good repair
- 13% — Rider inattention
- 7% — Crash or collision
- 4% — Dog running out in front of the bike
How Drivers Cause Bicycle Accidents
Bicycles are smaller and less visible than passenger vehicles, and drivers may fail to register a bike in the roadway. Collisions involving bicycles and motor vehicles are often caused by driver inattention or failure to yield the right-of-way to a bicyclist. For example:
- A driver who is following too closely and not paying attention may hit a bicyclist from behind, causing serious or fatal injuries.
- A car to the right of a bicyclist may pull out of a side street, alley, driveway, or parking lot, striking the bicycle or blocking its path.
- A driver overtakes a bicyclist and cuts the bike off while making a right-hand turn.
- A driver traveling in the opposite direction makes a left-hand turn in front of the bicyclist, either hitting the bike or cutting it off.
Call Our Bloomington Office Today
If someone else caused your bicycle accident, you deserve to recover full and fair compensation for your injuries. Contact the Bloomington accident attorneys at Kanoski Bresney today to schedule a free consultation.