Bloomington Motorcycle Accident Attorney
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclist deaths occurred 28 times more frequently than other motor vehicle fatalities in a recent year. Lacking the protection of an enclosed vehicle, riders are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident that was someone else’s fault, contact Kanoski Bresney in Bloomington, Illinois as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.
Why Choose Kanoski Bresney?
- Our experienced Bloomington injury lawyers are not intimidated by large corporations or courtrooms. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial if it means recovering the compensation you deserve.
- We have more than four decades of experience representing people who have been wrongfully injured through negligence.
- We have successfully recovered more than $400 million for our clients.
Why You Need an Attorney
Insurance companies have their own best interests in mind. Their goal is to deny liability or settle your claim for as little as possible. After a serious motorcycle crash, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Bloomington motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Without legal representation, you could lose out on the full compensation you deserve.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
In its Quick Facts 2016 publication, NHTSA reports that:
- 5,286 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes in 2016.
- Motorcyclist fatalities increased by 77 from 2015 to 2016.
- 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in traffic crashes in 2015, the most recent year for which injury statistics are available.
- Alcohol was a factor in 25% of fatal motorcycle crashes in 2016, as compared to 21% for passenger cars and 20% for light trucks.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are smaller, less stable, and less visible than passenger cars or trucks. Collisions with motor vehicles often occur when a driver fails to register a motorcycle in the roadway. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-hand turns: Many motorcycle wrecks occur when a driver traveling in the opposite direction makes a left-hand turn directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Rear-end collisions: This type of accident occurs when a driver is following too closely behind a motorcycle or not paying attention. A rear-end collision that might cause minor injuries to passenger vehicle occupants can be fatal for a motorcyclist.
- Unsafe lane changes: As they are smaller and less visible than passenger vehicles, motorcycles can easily appear in a driver’s blind spot. When drivers fail to signal and perform a head check before changing lanes, serious accidents can result.
- Hazardous roadways: Two-wheeled motorcycles are lighter and less stable than four-wheeled cars, trucks, and SUVs. Potholes, debris, dead animals in the road, or uneven pavement can cause a rider to lose control and crash.
Who Is Liable?
When a motorcycle accident is caused by the negligence of another, that party may be held liable for injuries and losses resulting from the wreck. To prove liability, you will need to show that the other party’s negligence caused the accident. Negligence occurs when someone fails to use the level of care that a reasonable person would exercise in similar circumstances. Examples of negligent driving behavior include drunk driving, distracted driving, and aggressive driving.
Contact Our Bloomington, IL Office Today
At Kanoski Bresney in Bloomington, Illinois, we have more than 40 years of experience with a practice focused exclusively on representing injured people. Call us today for a free consultation if you or a loved one was injured in a Bloomington motorcycle accident.