Champaign Bicycle Accident Attorney
When a crash occurs between a motor vehicle and bicycle, the cyclist is most likely to be seriously injured. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois today. Our experienced Champaign bicycle accident attorneys will zealously pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Our Illinois injury attorneys have more than 40 years of experience representing people who have been injured through negligence.
- We are trial lawyers who are not intimidated by large corporations or courtrooms. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial if it is in your best interests.
- We have successfully recovered more than $400 million in settlements and awards for our clients.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Attorney
After a bicycle accident with injuries, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Champaign personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries, but insurance companies are not likely to make that an easy task. They are for-profit companies, motivated to pay out as little as possible for your claim. Our top-rated Champaign bicycle accident attorneys can investigate your crash, determine liability, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and fight effectively in court for the compensation you deserve, if necessary.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
As reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 840 bicyclists were in traffic crashes in the U.S. 2016, representing a 1.3% increase in bicyclist fatalities from 2015.
- Bicyclist deaths accounted for 2.2% of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities.
- 71% of bicyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- 51% occurred during daylight hours.
- 46 was the average age of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes.
- The population-based bicyclist fatality rate was 5.6 times higher for males than for females.
- The highest fatality rate for cyclists was among adults ages 60 to 64.
- Children under the age of 15 accounted for 7% of all bicyclist traffic fatalities in 2016.
- Illinois had a total of 20 bicyclist traffic deaths in 2016, representing 1.8% of all traffic fatalities.
When we turn to the Illinois Department of Transportation, we can see that bicycle accidents affect residents in this state. During the latest reporting here in Illinois, there were 2,793 total bicycle accidents recorded. Out of these incidents, there were:
- 2,696 reported injuries
- 26 reported fatalities
These statistics show that an alarming number of bicycle crashes result and injuries or fatalities.
Causes of Bicycle Accident Injuries in Champaign, IL
As reported by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, nearly one-third of all bicyclist injuries result from being struck by a car. The six most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Being hit by a car – 29%
- Falling – 17%
- Roadway or walkway not in good repair – 13%
- Rider error or not paying attention – 13%
- Crash or collision – 7%
- Dog running out in front of the bike – 4%
Most common bicycle accident injuries in Champaign, IL
Regardless of whether or not a bicyclist is wearing a helmet, riders often sustain serious injuries as a result of a collision with a vehicle. A bicycle rider has very little protection from the force of a vehicle that weighs thousands of pounds slamming into it. It is not uncommon for our Champaign bicycle accident lawyers to help clients who have sustained the following after an incident:
- Spinal cord trauma (possible paralysis)
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or road rash
Each of these injuries requires immediate medical attention. Bicycle accident victims often have to worry about major medical bills piling up. If a victim is not able to work while they recover, they could lose the income they need to support themselves and their family.
Proving negligence in a Champaign bicycle accident case
Securing compensation in the aftermath of a bicycle accident that was caused by another driver requires proving that they were negligent. This can become complicated and often requires the assistance of an attorney. If you or a loved one are injured in a bicycle accident, there are several steps you can take to help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Ensure you seek medical attention immediately after a bicycle accident occurs. Even if you do not feel any pain, please understand that the symptoms of many bicycle accident injuries do not appear until hours or even days after a crash.
- Obtain and keep any evidence from the crash scene. If possible, use your smartphone to take photographs of the vehicles involved, any damages, causes of the crash, and any injuries. Do not discard your bicycle if it is broken. It could be used as evidence in your case.
- Your attorney should be able to obtain video surveillance from nearby businesses or homes that may have captured the accident.
- The police report will usually contain an officer’s assessment of who was at fault for the bicycle accident.
What type of compensation is available in these cases?
The amount of compensation a bicycle accident victim will receive varies depending on several factors, including the severity of the injuries, how long it takes to recover, whether or not the cyclist is able to work, and more. Generally, the following types of compensation could be available to a Champaign bicycle accident victim:
- Coverage of medical expenses related to the bike crash
- Recovery of lost wages if the victims cannot work
- Coverage of any necessary medical equipment, physical therapy, or rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent party
The first line of defense for these cases will be the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier. However, if a claim is denied or if the insurance carrier refuses to offer a fair settlement, it may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver and their insurance carrier.
How Do Drivers Cause Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle wrecks involving a motor vehicle often result from driver inattention or failure to yield the right-of-way to the cyclist. Inattentive drivers may fail to register the bicycle in the roadway. For example, many bicycle accidents occur when a car to the right of the cyclist pulls out of a side street, driveway, or parking lot exit, striking the bicycle or blocking the cyclist’s path. Rear-end collisions in which a motor vehicle hits a bicycle from behind can cause serious or fatal injuries for the cyclist.
Contact Our Champaign Office Today
Cyclists are vulnerable to serious injury in a crash with a motor vehicle. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident in Champaign, IL that was someone else’s fault, contact Kanoski Bresney right away. Our Champaign personal injury lawyers are tough advocates for injured bicyclists.