Champaign Bicycle Accident Attorney
When a crash occurs between a motor vehicle and bicycle, the cyclist is most likely to be seriously injured. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois today. Our experienced Champaign bicycle accident attorneys will zealously pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Our Illinois injury attorneys have more than 40 years of experience representing people who have been injured through negligence.
- We are trial lawyers who are not intimidated by large corporations or courtrooms. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial if it is in your best interests.
- We have successfully recovered more than $400 million in settlements and awards for our clients.
Why You Need a Bicycle Accident Attorney
After a bicycle accident with injuries, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Champaign personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries, but insurance companies are not likely to make that an easy task. They are for-profit companies, motivated to pay out as little as possible for your claim. Our top-rated Champaign bicycle accident attorneys can investigate your crash, determine liability, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and fight effectively in court for the compensation you deserve, if necessary.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
As reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 840 bicyclists were in traffic crashes in the U.S. 2016, representing a 1.3% increase in bicyclist fatalities from 2015.
- Bicyclist deaths accounted for 2.2% of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities.
- 71% of bicyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- 51% occurred during daylight hours.
- 46 was the average age of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes.
- The population-based bicyclist fatality rate was 5.6 times higher for males than for females.
- The highest fatality rate for cyclists was among adults ages 60 to 64.
- Children under the age of 15 accounted for 7% of all bicyclist traffic fatalities in 2016.
- Illinois had a total of 20 bicyclist traffic deaths in 2016, representing 1.8% of all traffic fatalities.
Causes of Bicycle Accident Injuries
As reported by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, nearly one-third of all bicyclist injuries result from being struck by a car. The six most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Being hit by a car – 29%
- Falling – 17%
- Roadway or walkway not in good repair – 13%
- Rider error or not paying attention – 13%
- Crash or collision – 7%
- Dog running out in front of the bike – 4%
How Do Drivers Cause Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle wrecks involving a motor vehicle often result from driver inattention or failure to yield the right-of-way to the cyclist. Inattentive drivers may fail to register the bicycle in the roadway. For example, many bicycle accidents occur when a car to the right of the cyclist pulls out of a side street, driveway, or parking lot exit, striking the bicycle or blocking the cyclist’s path. Rear-end collisions in which a motor vehicle hits a bicycle from behind can cause serious or fatal injuries for the cyclist.
Contact Our Champaign Office Today
Cyclists are vulnerable to serious injury in a crash with a motor vehicle. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident in Champaign, IL, that was someone else’s fault, contact Kanoski Bresney right away. Our Champaign personal injury lawyers are tough advocates for injured bicyclists.