Champaign Brain Injury Attorney
Injury to the brain can cause complications with life-altering consequences. If you or your loved one has suffered brain injury through the negligence of another, contact Kanoski Bresney in Champaign, Illinois right away. Our experienced Champaign personal injury lawyers can assist you with a claim for compensation.
Why Choose Kanoski Bresney?
- Our Champaign brain injury attorneys are not intimidated by large corporations or courtrooms. We will not hesitate to take your case to court if necessary to pursue the compensation you deserve.
- We are the largest personal injury law firm in Central Illinois, with 12 attorneys and more than two dozen staff to handle your claim.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis – we do not charge any fees unless we win your case.
Why You Need an Attorney
After serious traumatic brain injury (TBI) caused by someone else’s negligence, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Champaign brain injury attorney as soon as possible, so your attorney can begin processing your claim and working toward the maximum recovery available under the law. Our top-rated brain injury lawyers understand that severe TBI can have long-term effects on the injured person and his or her family. We can aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve and protect your rights throughout the claims process.
What Is Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injury is an injury to the brain caused by trauma from an external source. It usually results from a violent blow or jolt to the head or body. Mild traumatic brain injury can have a temporary effect on the brain cells. More severe traumatic brain injury can cause bruising, bleeding, tearing, and other damage to the brain, resulting in long-term complications or death.
Common Causes of Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury is caused by trauma to the head or body. The severity of the injury can depend on several factors, including the type of injury and the force of impact. Among the most common causes of traumatic brain injury are the following:
- Falls: Overall, falls are the leading cause of TBI, particularly among older adults and children.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Traffic crashes involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians are a common cause of TBI.
- Violence: Gunshot wounds, assaults, domestic violence, and child abuse can cause traumatic brain injury. Violent shaking can cause TBI in infants.
- Sports injuries: Injuries sustained in high-impact or extreme sports, including football, soccer, baseball, skateboarding, lacrosse, and hockey, can cause traumatic brain injury.
- Explosives and combat injuries: Among active-duty military personnel, explosive blasts are a common cause of TBI.
Who Is Liable?
Most traumatic brain injury lawsuits are based on the legal theory of negligence. In bringing a negligence claim, you will be required to prove that the party you are suing is legally responsible for the injuries you sustained. To prove that a party is liable, you must show that:
- The responsible party had a duty to exercise reasonable care toward you.
- The responsible party failed to act with reasonable care.
- The action (or inaction) of the responsible party was the cause of your injuries.
- You suffered injuries and losses that are measurable under the law.
Contact Our Champaign, IL Office Today
Moderate to severe traumatic brain injury can cause prolonged or lifelong changes in a person’s awareness, responsiveness, or state of consciousness. If you or your loved one has suffered traumatic brain injury caused by someone else’s negligence, contact the Champaign brain injury attorneys at Kanoski Bresney today for dedicated legal advocacy.