Kanoski Bresney attorneys are working and available to discuss your case with you during the COVID-19 crisis.
Contact Us



call us888-U-COUNT-2


Can You Sue the Government if You Get into an Accident with a Government-Owned Vehicle?

Posted on in Personal Injury

Crash Injury Attorney SpringfieldCar accidents happen every day. In a typical Illinois car accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is usually responsible for compensating accident victims. However, what happens if one of the cars in an accident is owned by the government? How are car accident cases different when the at-fault driver is a government employee such as a police officer, ambulance driver, or delivery driver? Can you sue if you were struck by a mail truck or other government vehicle?  

Government Liability for Car Crashes

When an employee causes an accident by driving negligently, the driver’s employer is typically the party legally responsible for the accident. When an employee works for the government, a government entity may be liable for damages. Unfortunately, car accident cases involving government liability are significantly more complicated than other types of car accident cases. The laws regulating claims against the government are complex and you only have a short window of time to file a claim. Therefore, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after being involved in an accident with a government vehicle.

Difference Between a Typical Claim and a Claim Against a Government Agency

In most personal injury cases, the injured person has two years to file a lawsuit per the Illinois personal injury statute of limitations. Claims filed after two years will likely be dismissed. The statute of limitations is even shorter when a claim is brought against the government. Furthermore, a claim against the government will be brought under the Illinois Court of Claims Act, and your case will go through the Court of Claims, not the circuit court.

A serious car accident can leave you with painful injuries, costly medical treatment bills, and expensive vehicle damage. Compensation for these and other damages may be available, but getting the compensation you need will not be easy.

Contact a Champaign Car Accident Lawyer

If you were hurt in a car crash caused by a government employee or involving a government vehicle, contact Kanoski Bresney to discuss your next steps. Bringing a successful injury claim against the government is difficult, but it is possible under the right circumstances. Our team of experienced Decatur personal injury attorneys can help you determine whether you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. If you do qualify for compensation, we will build a strong case on your behalf and fight aggressively to get you the financial reimbursement you need and deserve.

Call our office today at 888-826-8682 for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more.  




Back to Top